Email marketing and social media have obvious connection: email subscribers could be engaged in social media and vice versa. It is called multichannel marketing, when several channels work at the same time to convert user into customer. The marketer’s task is to define which of the applied tools has worked the best, what chain of actions led to the purchase.Before linking SMM and email marketing, you should get clear on what social networks will be the target. Typically, it will be Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, for some businesses – Pinterest, Instagram, etc. SMM and email marketing integration strategy should always take into account the difference between social media and email campaign target audience. What difference are we talking about?
Social media users are:
- interested in new things
- ready for experiments
- open for discussion
- listen to expert opinion
- get used to comparison and analysis
- like engaging content (videoads, social projects, unusual situations, interesting people).
Email subscribers are:
- positive about recommendations and ideas on how to use the purchases product
- closer to the purchase then social media participants
- tend to leave positive feedback on company work, products
- aimed at trust relationships
- ready to talk about personal preferences and receive personal offers
Social media and email marketing integration allows to:
- To consolidate communication platforms
- Better understand clients’ interests and email subscribers preferences so that in future make more relevant offers
- Grow the number of subscribers and potential customers.
Social networks - >emailHow to use social media for marketing for email campaign benefit? To convert social media users into email newsletter readers you can use:
- call to action (ask to subscribe to regular email newsletter from brand) where the link will lead to the newsletter subscription landing page.
- real customers feedback on product or service combined with an offer to receive more of such information in emails.
- contest (make up the slogan for company’s new series of products, for example); select right answer from suggested variants and send the answer via email.
- invitation to take part in social activity, for example create the phrase of the day and post it on personal account with company’s hashtag.
- questionnaire which would tell more about the potential customer ( fields could be: email, name, city, interests, etc.).
Email - > social networksIn order to convert email newsletter readers into social media fans you can:
- suggest to follow the brand in social media
- offer the subscriber to read more customer testimonials on brand social accounts
- tell about the opportunity to share the letter in personal social media account
- invite to take part in social media activity. For example, “One day from my life”. Rules: follow the link in the email to social media accounts, leave a short description (max - 200 characters) of one unusual day, attach the photo
- suggest to join the content for the most popular photo (+hashtag) featuring the purchased product (clothes, home appliances)
- including into email several social media buttons so that users have different options to share the valuable content in their social accounts
- announcing useful posts in brand communities. For example, “Great tips for flat abs, quit smoking, etc.” - on each Wednesday in our Facebook group!
- inform about promotions, details of which could be obtained on social media pages
- invite to participate in the question poll in social media
It is not allowed:
- Collect email addresses in illegal way (when subscriber doesn’t agrees to receive email newsletters). Often companies using social media offer users during sign up on the website an option to complete the registration via their social accounts. They are usually informed to what personal data the website will have an access: status update, audio, video files, friend list, email, date of birthday, etc. Such method of gathering information about the users is not quite fair.
- Export email address from social networks. Users authorization in Facebook for example is done via telephone or email. So theoretically you can collect email addresses. However Facebook doesn’t allow such possibility. Mail agents also don’t support such functionality. Facebook contacts could be imported from Yahoo, but as for now it is also impossible. It seems that growing contact base through extracting email addresses from users social profiles is illegal too.