Next time you post your article or announcement on the website think about who you are writing for – for people or search robots?Day after day, accumulating the experience, we turned the texts from material for search robots into the sales tool for our customers. And now we can share our knowledge.
Newspapers image from Shutterstock
How to write a good text?
The most important thing to remember when working with the content is the following:
A person who has come to the website from the search engine, context advertisement or a third-party site already has certain opinion of the product and even probably considered purchasing it. Your task is to gently but firmly persuade him to buy.
There are no definite recipes how to create a selling content. But as the practice shows there are definite rules of content perception by the user. Hence some patterns can be drawn as well as a certain structure of content which can bring the customer to purchase.
Here are the examples of bad headers:
- Outdoor advertising, printing flyers, badges;
- Porridge is useful;
- Drunken brawl in a pub. Nobody has been injured.
Who is going to read the texts headed like this?
Such headers sell nothing. They are made to make your texts never been read. Never ever.
The most common mistakes in composing headers can be of three categories:
- uninteresting headers;
- vague headers;
- headers fully conveying the essence of the text.
Make the header work!
Here are some tested techniques:
- How to solve the problem with dandruff once and for good?
- Where to buy tickets for the Olympiad?
- What are your chances to become a president of your country?
Even those not very interested in the subject are likely to take a look at the text following such a header. To say nothing of those interested.
Headers-questions deal with our curiosity, and it always works.
- 7 ways to checkout from competitors
- 50 simple steps to gain success in advertisement
- Top 10 of the worst baby strollers for your kid
Figures are concentrated information. Somebody has already analyzed 10 000 products/decisions/types of services for you and made a Top List. You will try to learn this information at least out of curiosity.
3) Causing fear/shock
- You can be robbed any minute!
- Without using cream *** you run the risk of sunburn.
- Your product can become uninteresting as soon as in a year!
Having scared the customer you instantly make him think of a possible problem, enhance its significance manifold.
- Is there a cure from all illnesses?
- Find a secret way to get profit from the startup.
- Joggers: who are they?
Nothing attracts like mystery. Offer your customer unique unknown information – and he is all yours!
5) Personal experience
- I have increased my profit three times due to this method. What about you?
- With *** it took us a month to solve our problems!
- How have I doubled my sales for 2 weeks?
“Someone has benefited already – why don’t I try!” – the example of others is infective. And it would be a sin not to take advantage. Such headers are especially effective when somebody authoritative is speaking, or a celebrity, or just someone personally familiar to the customer.
As you can see, many examples combine several techniques. You should try different combinations. The main thing is not to overdo. The header should not be strained and uncertain.
There are some other important issues:
- Always bear in mind who you are addressing to. Speak the user’s language;
- Avoid too long headers. It would be nice if it fits one line;
- Use the link “problem – solution”;
- Give more details which will touch your customer’s nerve.
The selling text
Four important rules
1. Remember who you are writing for
- Don’t miss the chance to speak to your customer as if you do it in person. You should avoid writing “we”, “us”, “our company” – it is not interesting. Talk about the customer, about his future purchase, his benefit.
- Speak the customer’s language.
Avoid dense full canvas of text. Divide it into paragraphs of 2-4 sentences, lists, charts. Make subheadings obligatory. Mark out certain elements and enrich the structure of the text within the frames of the general style of the page.
3. Avoid long sentences
The feature of the perception of Internet pages is that the user does not read the entire text, he just scans some fragments. That is exactly why the text content should be well-structured and the sentences should be short.
4. Finish the text with the call to action
Five questions that your text should answer
1. Who will especially benefit from this product/service/action?
Birthday discount – 5%!
2. What exactly do you offer?
Sale of sports equipment.
3. What is the advantage?
Will be produced in 1 day!
4. Why now?
Hurry up! The action will last only till August 25!
5. How to buy/to know more?
Questions? Get in touch with our contact center…
Writing the selling text is not enough. If it is designed improperly and poorly posted on the webpage, your customer just won’t read it. Today users are becoming more demanding to the form of the content.
You should not use all your favorite fonts, colors and “features” when designing the page. The rule “the simpler the better” is topical today.
Here are the main principles of the design:
Font: Arial, Tahoma or Verdana. These are the most readable options.
Size: 12-14. For a header – 18.
Color: dark color of the text on the light background. Black on white is the best.
Design: form the text by letter F shape. Divide it into paragraphs. Use subheadings, links, lists.
Media: dilute the text by pictures, video and infographics. Remember – pictures cannot be too many!
Let us summarize
The principles of quality content:
- Catching and clear header, inviting to read the text;
- Selling text where you answer the questions what, whom, when and why you want to sell;
- Perfect design with pictures, lists, infographics and right color choice.