Let’s welcome the first Friday of winter! Our team selected a few pieces of advice for you from Yandex, Adobe, and Spark.
We also decided to recall the speeches of the Promodo Partners in Almaty held on November, 26th and share the actionable hints with you.
Geolocation Targeting in Yandex.Direct
Yandex.Direct added a new feature recently. Now, you can set up an audience with a predefined geographical point and then show contextual advertising in a particular area. This is a good option for PPC specialist. Alexander Zaremsky, Deputy Head of the PPC Department at Promodo, provides some ideas on how to benefit from such a possibility.
First of all, SMEs and online businesses with offline presence will be able to target contextual campaigns more precisely and effectively. For instance, you can use the radius from 0.5 to 10 kilometers.
It is possible to choose among three kinds of audience selection by geolocation:
1. Regularly visits – people who visit the selected area regularly;
2. Now visiting – people who are in the selected area right now;
3. Were here N days for the specified period – users who have completed the specified condition.
After the audience is set up and processed, advertisers get an opportunity to use this geolocal audience in Yandex.Direct search advertising campaigns, namely to ask them to adjust bids (to increase the rate up to 1200%), as well as to use this audience in Yandex Advertising Network campaigns and then to target customized banners or text-image ads on them.
Yandex.Direct Analytics and Trends
Yandex in Ukraine shared some data about the geography of advertising campaigns, platforms used, categories dynamics, and advertisers and their location. The full report you can find here (in Ukrainian). Hereinafter, we will give you the most vital findings our specialists identified in this report:
• 71% of the population of big cities have access to the Internet.
• The frequency of the clicks on ads on smartphones is the highest in Kiev (13.7%) and Odessa (10.5%).
• The biggest amount of clicks on ads is in the following business categories: Electronic appliances (13%), Clothing & Shoes (11%), Auto goods and services (10%), and Construction and Repair: Goods (8%).
• An average monthly increase of active advertisers in 2016 is estimated at 20%.
• The report concludes that small regions became the main traffic generators.
Black Friday 2016 Breakthroughs
Black Friday 2016 is over and it’s time to analyze some customer behavior data. Adobe has recently released its 2016 online shopping data. They gathered data for Black Friday and Thanksgiving Day. So, people spent more than $5 billion online by the end of Black Friday. Another remarkable result is driving over one billion dollars in mobile revenue. On Thanksgiving Day, customers spent about 2 billion and mobile accounted for 40% of sales and 57% of visits.
The top selling toys are reported to be:
1. Lego Creator Sets,
2. Electric scooters from Razor,
3. Nerf Guns,
4. DJI Phantom Drones,
5. Barbie Dreamhouse.
The top selling electronic products were:
1. Apple iPads,
2. Samsung 4k TVs,
3. Apple MacBook Air,
4. LG TVs,
5. Microsoft Xbox.
“Retailers that have invested in mobile, email and social have seen 30 percent more sales on average and 25 percent higher average order values.” – as Adobe study found out.
Benefits of Pictures in Emails
Everyone will agree that photos, icons, graphs, and other visuals make emails more appealing and help businesses deliver messages to their potential clients. So, how to make your email campaign work in full? Study the best hints from Spark below:
1. Add alternative text using <img> alt tag attribute. This will help the readers understand what the picture or video is about if it cannot upload or the user turned on the ‘download image’ option.
2. Create GIF animation – follow the winning strategy of such companies as Nike, Terrain, American Eagle Outfitters, Kate Spade, and many more other.
3. Use infographic to share plenty of information in a convenient, easy-to-grasp way.
4. Follow your brand style, e.g. use the logotype, corporate colors and fonts, etc.
5. Measure the effectiveness of the pictures you use: set a clickable ‘call-to-action’ button and then check how many clicks your picture.
6. Try to use a ‘text’ style instead of HTML. Emails with a decorated footer and header look stylish and personal.
7. Avoid using background images because most email clients don’t display them correctly.
Online Promotion: What to Do and KPI
On November, 26th Promodo team organized the “Marketing of online stores and services” seminar in Almaty. Promodo Partners Almaty is the second international seminar for online marketing professionals. It consisted of four workshops run by the Promodo experts. Participants communicated with the Internet marketing gurus, learned from their experience, and found out the latest trends in the industry.
Let us share the key messages made by Alexander Kolb, CEO at Promodo, who explained what mistakes to avoid while promoting a venue online:
1. Working exclusively with model requests;
2. Short time period to gather stat data;
3. Advertising campaign stops and client’s intervention;
4. Lack of client’s and agency’s feedback;
5. Mixing KPIs of different marketing channels.