Having learnt the newest tendencies in marketing strategy one may discover the majority of changes on the advertising market occur due to gradual turning of traditional marketing (outbound marketing) into so-called inbound marketing. In this article we would like to share the comparative data and the basic idea of the given model.Image from Shutterstock
Let’s start with what inbound & outbound marketing are:
Inbound marketing is a company promotion by means of blogs, podcasts, videos, e-books and periodicals, SEO, social media and through other forms of content marketing. The inbound marketing strategies are to gain users’ attention and interest.
Get lost in the search results?
Let Promodo experts help your website index better by optimising your pages, improving your content, and enhancing your linking strategy.
By clicking this button you agree to our terms & conditions
Outbound marketing is advertising that buys the attention of users: cold calls, radio and TV ads, POSM, spam, and other traditional marketing tools, as opposed to inbound marketing.
Numerous studies confirm that the aggressive promotion techniques lose ground. Those marketing specialists who hard-sell their production to clients spend huge budgets, and therewith lose the market. According to David Meerman Scott, the author of the book «Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media and Blogs», such marketing refers to traditional or outbound marketing.
• 91% of users unsubscribe from a company’s news mailing right after receiving the first e-mail;
• 44% of e-mails are left unread;
• 84% of users from 24 to 35 stopped visiting a favorite site because of the hype;
• 86% of users switch a channel on commercials.
More and more the most recent tools involving customers in the dialogue, entertaining and providing only relevant and up to date information about a product are combined into inbound marketing strategy. Inbound marketing is based on unique content: original texts on your website, podcasts, videos, infographics, white papers (useful materials, manuals, researches reports, etc.). The tools for the distribution of such content are the newest online promotion means: corporate site or blog, search engine optimization, PPC advertising, social networking sites. All these methods are used depending on a situation to catch the interest of the target audience.
• 67% of b2с and 40% of b2b companies got their clients from Facebook;
• 57% of companies got their clients from a corporate blog;
• 42% of companies got their clients from Twitter.
Only high-quality content can keep a user on a website and rouse to further actions: likes, registration, making a purchase, etc. The content may be spread in social networks through news aggregators, creating a viral effect and contributing to the growth of the company awareness, as well as through the search engine optimization and contextual advertising, which direct customers to the website only in necessary time and by specific query in search engines. In the process of the content distribution users can create lots of backlinks pointing to the source site, and this will contribute to search engine promotion. High-quality content can create good buzz and increase the traffic to the site, which in its turn can bring you new customers.
The advantages of inbound marketing:
- Less expensive (3 of 4 inbound marketing channels to attract customers are cheaper than traditional marketing methods.);
- More efficient (high ROI);
- Allows you to raise the brand loyalty and increase the probability of a repeat purchase.
What move to make right away? Some perfect marketing solutions:
- Work more with the website content. Add new interactive content – videos, product brochures, infographics, and author illustration.
- Work more with web analytics. Analyse the content and usability of your website. Remake the pages with high bounce rate.
- Work more on search engine marketing – contextual advertising and SEO.
- Be more active in social networks to attract active audience by means of regular posts and quality content on your page.
- Set up a company’s blog with feature articles written by your experts.
- Stay in touch with your audience by means of interesting newsletter.
Stories of success
Firefish, recruitment company
What has been done:
• Website content greatly improved;
• Growth of brand online presence in social networks, a company blog set up;
• SEO works started;
• Seminars for clients replaced by webinars.
• The increase of customer retention by 94%;
• The number of requests for a purchase increased by 190%;
• The traffic increased by 355%.
Orabrush, oral hygiene and fresh breath preparation
The goal: to find alternative ways to increase sales (traditional channels show low income).
What has been done:
• Brand channel launched on YouTube with the frequency of publication of at least one new video per week, contextual advertising for the best videos launched;
• Calls to actions added on the promo pages;
• Growth of brand presence in social networks.
• The increase in number of brand followers in social networks by 187 thousand;
• 47 thousand of views on the YouTube channel;
• Tenfold increase of conversion for the promo pages.