Reddit is a platform created to share different kinds of content other users can comment and vote up or down (like or dislike). Depending on the number of votes, the topic will be higher or lower in search issue. This is the main principle for building your marketing campaign on Reddit.
To learn about launching campaigns on other social media platforms follow the links below:
What do you need to know about Reddit?
The picture below is the official statistics provided by Reddit website, showing the main numbers such as the number of unique visitors or the number of logged in redditors.
Reddit does not have a consistent structure of users, it is made of smaller groups united around a certain topic or area of interest. Such small themed forums are called subreddits. Just like the circles in Google Plus. The difference is a unique ‘microclimate’ in each group – the specific set of rules relevant for a concrete page. For instance, some subreddits restrict video content; others forbid posting images or links to external websites promoting commercial businesses. The person who created the group and is in charge for it sets up the rules.
Here you can see the top ten subreddits. The full list is available at Redditlist.
How to get started?
Create your personal account (attention, choose a good name for your profile – you will not be able to change it) and start taking part in the life of social platform (vote, comment, submit content, earn badges). The more awards you have the more trustworthy is your account.
Make your piece of content outstanding with a good and eye-catching title. Even if your content is brilliant it can be ignored because of not strong enough title. In addition, remember – this social media is all about people, if they feel your content to be bad (spam, intolerant, disgusting) they will downvote it.
How can you use Reddit for business?
Business advertising with Reddit is mostly free, but there are certain rules to follow in order to succeed:
- Make a research. Find the subreddits fitting your business. For instance, if you sell sport goods – your target groups here can be those interested in sport in general, those, interested in particular kinds of sport, as well as those, discussing health habits and health style of life, fashion (and sports fashion), funny situations on a sports ground etc. Be creative to fit as much subreddits as possible.
- Integrate into the community. Try to take some time to better know your audience. Follow their comments and discussions; note the reactions on different types and styles of content. Find out what works better and what can be a good recipe for your local business on Reddit.
- Be transparent. Do not hide your business goals – it can be helpful to introduce yourself before leaving a substantial comment to a topic your business belongs to. Such an attitude will bring an additional trust to your account.
- Use Reddit as a marketing tool. Be very careful. If your submission is a blatant advertising – better use the paid promoted option. In other cases use these tips:
– Choose the right time for posting. Look when your targeted audience is the most active and use this knowledge for your own purpose.
– Encourage the discussion. You can make the proper phrasing and submit a post in a form of question or start a conversation in a comments section.
– Use indirect promotion. You can build a phrase in such a way that it would not seem to be an advertising.
How much does it cost to advertise on Reddit?
If you would like to know how to advertise on Reddit traditionally, you can use the special section of the website.
The good news here – it is not expensive. The minimum rate you will pay is $5. Such kind of promoted posts will save a great amount of time and efforts, although you will still need to find the proper subreddit to reach your targeted audience.
How global is Reddit?
Reddit is a worldwide platform; nevertheless, it works better for a local business, though it depends greatly on the industry. If the content you share is valuable for the community – of course, it will hit the audience out of your country and bring additional traffic to your website, which can be helpful if you aim to grow your business globally.
We hope this article helped you to find an additional marketing tool to grow your business. Do you think Reddit could be helpful for your ecommerce business?
Leave a Reply