Keyword optimization helps your site appear more frequently in a Google search results and makes it easier for customers to find you. Even though, search engines are changing their approaches to the website rankings, page keyword optimization still remains an effective method to attract a long-term traffic to your site. Since your business’ success depends on how easy people can find you on Google, keyword research and optimization are must-haves to make your business up and running.
Promodo team in cooperation with Alconost prepared a visual guide to help you easily get through the complicated process of the keyword search optimization. It is available in two formats: you can enjoy a short video infographics on You Tube or just read this information in here with video screenshots attached. Choose what suits you best!
Get lost in the search results?
Let Promodo experts help your website index better by optimising your pages, improving your content, and enhancing your linking strategy.
By clicking this button you agree to our terms & conditions
Now let’s consider each step precisely:
1. Imagine you want to sell something online. For example, raccoons :), and you’ve created a nice web page for this purpose.
2. To choose the proper keywords, think about your potential customers. Which search terms might they type while looking for racoons online? After such brainstorm, you will probably have a lot of ideas. So make a list of what’s coming up to your mind.
You’ll get something like this:
3. The list you created is your basic keyword list. Now you need to check your ideas for relevancy and popularity. There are special keyword tools that can help you with this (we will consider them later). While checking keywords, you will likely find more keyword suggestions. Add them to your list.
Start removing the least popular words and phrases from your list. If keyword tools show you a low or zero search volume for the keyword — it is unlikely that such keyword brings you traffic, get rid of it.
Look at the main keyword research tools that could be immensely helpful in keyword selection:
Google Keyword Planner
Your best friend in keyword research. The basic tool for all the marketers online. It is simple and convenient.
Not only will help you find the relevant keywords, but also provides you with a big set of other marketing data related to your site perfomance and the most profitable keywords of your competitors. If you find some great keywords they use, add them to your keyword list too!
Suggests an extra keywords which you didn’t find in Google Keyword Planner before.
An easy-to-use tool for novice and experienced marketer. Apart from Google tools, this one tells you which keywords are popular on YouTube, Bing, Amazon and AppStore.
To get more detailed information about these keyword research tools, read our article 5 Keyword Research Tools for Ecommerce to Try.
4. Next stage is analyzing the competition for the keywords you’ve selected. There are probably some industry giants offering the same product or service as you do, and they are already being ranked for the keyword you selected for a long time. So, it would be useless trying to compet with them Just remove this keyword from your list. It seems nearly impossible for a small or mid-sized business to achieve rankings for a keywords with a very high volume. So, the solution is being ranked for a large pool of specific long-tail keywords that differs you from others and brings visitors you need.
5. Keep in mind, that not all the long–tail keywords you have selected may hit you goals. A bit of theory here: all the search queries are divided into three main groups: navigational, informational and transactional.
- Navigational group contains the keywords that people are using to find a certain site (e.g. Promodo). If you are not this one, there is no use to choose this keyword, because users simply won’t come.
- Informational are the queries which people type when they want to find an answer on a question.
- Transactional are the queries defining the specific need of a user (e.g. buy pet raccoon).
Informational queires are completely opposite to the transactional ones, which convey a clear user’s intent to buy a product, so in many cases, informational queries are irrelevant for ecommerce sites.
All this theory is to bring you to the conclusion, that you should check your list for non-commercial keywords and exclude them from the it, leaving only those which will help you attract the users precisely interested in purchasing the product or service you offer.
6. The next step is to put the selected keywords into logical groups and assign them to corresponding pages of your site. If there is a significant group of keywords, that don’t match any of your pages, just create a new page with the content written around this group of keywords. Don’t miss such opportunity: the created page could become a new source of relevant traffic to your site.
That is why you should use keywords in:
• page names,
• H1 heading,
• web page text,
• internal link anchors,
• breadcrumbs (horizontal navigation) — this is optional.
An important note: do not overload your site with keywords, don’t stuff them everywhere, because search engines don’t like keyword heavy site pages and may decrease your site rankings.
8. The latest tip for you: be fair to your consumers, don’t lie to them. Use the keywords relevant to the products and services you provide. Look at your bounce rate to check whether you have chosen the right keywords for your web page. If the bounce rate is high, the keywords you’ve chosen are not relevant to what you offer on the site, otherwise the bounce rate will be low which is a signal that you are doing everything right!
9. As you can see, optimizing your site for keywords has a lot of benefits. It won’t just increase organic traffic, but will also help your business to bring some users who are ready to buy your product. The optimization process will also help you better understand your potential customers and learn more about your competitors’ activity.
10. That’s it, you’ve taken your first step! If you want to keep going and have the work done for you, contact us for a professional help!