Statistics show, that 59% of mobile apps don’t even break even. Coming up with an original idea and decent implementation is only half the battle. A great application is likely to fail without marketing support, but an unremarkable one can give a tenfold return if it’s supplied by a proper marketing strategy.
Let’s look at some marketing methods that don’t require investments.
Has two stage – each one with its own goal:
1. Search engine optimization (SEO),
2. Visual optimization.
The aim of the first stage is to improve search engine ranking, so that more people could find your app via search engines.
There are three free basic tools here.
1) App name. It’s important to choose a right name for your app. It will largely determine how many people will find your app using search engines. Also, make sure your app’s name includes main search keywords.
Example: an application with a title “Entertaining games for parties” is better to name “Entertainments for parties”, as it will cover two keywords: entertainments and parties. You should not call it “Have fun” or “Mimosa”.
2) Description. Most users read only the first paragraph. Try to make it as descriptive and compelling as possible, and employ the maximum number of keywords in text.
Example: for a mobile application from “Cooking” category you should use for description words like kitchen, recipes, tasty, cooking, and so on.
3) Multiple languages. It will increase your audience by15%. Use the main languages like English, German, Chinese, etc. Try to make each language version quality – avoid using Google Translator or other programs.
The purpose of the second stage is to make application more engaging.
1) App icon. Prior to viewing Screenshot and description users will see your app’s icon. So pay special attention to it. Your icon should clearly convey your program’s purpose and stand out from your competitors.
2) Screenshots. They also matter a lot. Make sure your screenshots showcase the best features of your app.
3) Promo video. Show what your application can do – highlight its benefits, carefully evading any shortcomings it may have.
4) Screenshots in multiple languages. Drives up to 30% more users to your application.
Alternative app stores
Despite the fact, that alternative stores’ audience is much less, sometimes an application gathers 10 times more downloads from Amazon or Samsung apps than from Google Play. Because of the less fierce competition there, it’s easier for your app to move into the top charts and get ranked highly in search engines.
App reviews submission to sites and blogs
A very important part of marketing strategy.
One of the most powerful methods, that increases the number of downloads and establishes an outlet for users’ feedback. It suits best for free applications, since you frequently have to submit an APK file.
1) Create new topics on blogs. Write a good program description, make Screenshots and post a new review.
2) Submit reviews of your app to the special sites. Type in search engine “Android apps”, go to the first 20-30 sites found for this query and get in touch with them for a chance to get featured. Pros: free of charge, quick, after 5 to10 sites have published your app review, other sites start copying the information and creating their own review of your application.
1. Create official pages for your app or brand on Facebook and Twitter.
2. Make Facebook Fan Pages.
3. Social media marketing as a top trend (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare).
1,2) Social networks help an app promotion a lot these days.
Facebook spans the entire Internet in the USA. Post news about your program, its updates, and development process on your company or app’s page. This will ensure your subscribers won’t miss a release of the new application. The fact they have subscribed to your page shows they enjoyed your previous projects, so they are likely to download your new program too.
4) Especially effective for game promotion.
Give your app users an opportunity to post their achievements, etc. on their social accounts.
Example: telling the friends about scoring high, rare item discovery, passing to next level, and so forth.
Download volume on different days and holidays
As we can see, on weekends and holidays the number of downloads are higher than on weekdays. Try to release the app right before weekends or holidays start – it will help reach the top in the category “new free/paid”. Even greater results may be achieved if you manage to make it to the top of other charts during the weekend or festive period.
Getting to the top
To drive more traffic, you can try to break into the top charts.
Free methods are difficult and time-consuming.
In you choose to pay, you will jump there quickly, but it is expensive and doesn’t always pay off.
Several ways to get to the top .
1. Bot Push — $20,000-$30,000 // not really honest
2. CPI in the Top 25
iOS Free Apps:
a) depending on the category — $276 (weather) — $23,500 (games) per day // don’t make an app about the weather
b) TOP Free — $35,500 per day // doesn’t always pay off
3. Special services
a) FreeAppADay — $7,000 per day // good value for the money, if your application has a content inside that could be sold
b) ComboApp — $4,900 for getting to the Top 100 paid app category // ineffective, unless it is a game
More about FreeAppADay. If you have a paid app that has a saleable content in there, you can allow free downloads of this program for one day and make post about it on the main page of the special site for $7,000. Why should it contain a saleable content? Because you have a paid app, even 50,000 to 100,000 people having downloaded it for free on one day will give you no yield. Another thing if those 50,000 to 100,000 people are potential buyers of the additional content.
Mobile Analytics Tools
Localytics Mobile App Analytics
I use Flurry and AdMob Analytics from this list.
Among Flurry’s strong sides I would like to highlight an opportunity to see the number of app errors and their logs — a very useful thing.
Practical use and results
By applying these methods, my application “Sushi Rolls Recipes” (the name itself is not really beautiful, but effective in terms of SEO optimization) within 20 days took 130 place among top new free apps and 45 position in the “Books and handbooks” category.
After a month you should expect a decline in the number of downloads, since your application will be removed from top-new-app chart. So if your program has reached the top of new applications, your marketing efforts should be maximized during the first month. The higher your app will be ranked in the top chart, the better place it will receive in its own category then.