The seventh Promodo Partners seminar was held in Kyiv on April, 19th. More than 450 participants from Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Moldova, Kazakhstan, and Lithuania visited the event. 13 speakers presented e-commerce marketing insights and useful hints. Let’s remember the most interesting points, ideas, and data mentioned during the event.
Ukrainian E-Commerce Market Research
In March 2017, Promodo marketing department conducted research aimed to understand how companies use digital marketing solutions. They have studied 215 different companies and found out that
- • 75% of companies increased their Internet marketing budgets and 59% are planning to do so this year.
- • 94% of companies created their own content: 74% of which included expert articles and 40% – video.
- • 92% of companies used Facebook over other social media.
- • 81% of businesses optimized for mobile.
- • 52% launched advertising campaigns optimized for mobile devices.
Some more findings are to come.
Rules of Storytelling
Slava Baranskyi, a head of marketing and co-founder at LIVE.LOVE, shared some advice on how to tell your stories in the era when people do not believe each other. He pointed out that individuals still liked stories and preferred buying something that had a story behind. Slava provided the general rules of storytelling:
- • Keep it slow – do not shock your audience.
- • Follow opinion leaders and experts.
- • Be multichannel.
- • Plan the end of every story – feel fine to finish even the best one.
Some more rules from Slava included:
- • Be patient and ready to play a long-lasting game.
- • Repeat, repeat, repeat, and repeat again.
- • Deliver a bright story, but not too absurd.
Interesting Facts about the Kazakhstan E-Commerce Market
Renata Musina, an e-commerce director at Technodom, talked about the key trends of e-commerce in Kazakhstan. For example, ¾ of online sales were made in only two cities, namely Almaty and Astana. Meanwhile, e-commerce was about 1% of the country’s turnover.
It was worth mentioning that 59% of technodom.kz users visited the site using mobile devices. The number of people who preferred traditional stores dropped by 53%. The purchase path changed. More people started searching online and after that, they went to an offline store to make a purchase.
The success recipe from Renata included these ingredients:
- 1. Sharing information about the benefits of purchasing products online.
- 2. Providing high-quality, proactive service.
- 3. Using a personal approach based on collected data.
- 4. Trying new markets.
- 5. Using holistic approach.
G.L.U.E. as a Working Tool of a Marketer
- • Your brand was not something you tell people; rather, it was something they felt and shared with others.
- • By giving some extras, you could show that you care about your clients.
- • You needed to exceed the client’s expectations.
- • The GARTNER study showed that 85% of businesses would compete exclusively based on user experience by 2020.
Here is an amazing example of how this method worked.
Key Metrics and Reports to Assess the Effectiveness of Promotion
Vadim Nekhay, a marketing director at Depositphotos, explained why the marketing metrics were important. He identified three groups of metrics to keep in mind: user engagement, interaction with a product, and purchases.
User engagement measures PPC, display, and affiliate campaigns, along with email and organic traffic. Iteration with product refers to how your users move in the marketing funnel, what they search for, and how they behave. The purchases typically include the subscriptions, downloads, and leads.
Select the most important metrics for you from those offered on the slide below and measure them. Those Vadim considered most useful are given in bold.
To pick the indicators that matter to your business, consider the following:
- 1. What do you want to analyze?
- 2. What details are important to you?
- 3. What questions would you like to be answered?
- 4. How can you measure the answers?
- 5. What answers should become your KPIs?
- 6. What other data should you include in your reports?
If you want to become a part of the Promodo Partners family, contact our team today.