Product descriptions are an essential tool when it comes to e-commerce. Well written product descriptions have the potential to increase sales up to a 100 percent. Product descriptions make it easier for visitors and potential buyers to understand the features and functions of a product or service. Many online retailers use product descriptions provided by the manufacturers. However, these descriptions are neither consistent nor have the creative copywriting coherence to make the descriptions interesting as well as informative.
Many retailers also rely solely on images to sell their products, however, comparatively the product comes out as random and badly represented. Quality advertising copywriting can greatly help in earning your visitors’ trust and convincing them that the product or service can greatly benefit them. The fact is that the product is not physically available, and thus in e-commerce, it is all the more difficult for potential buyers to trust the quality of a product. A well-written product description reassures them of the features and benefits that a particular product offers. Following are some indispensable copywriting tips that can help you yield the most profits from your online retail store.
The Right Formatting
Reports show that almost 79% of visitors simply scan the page rather than read the entire text. Hence, e-commerce websites generally use bullet points as well as paragraph form. So rather than using bulky text forms, or writing the whole description in bullet forms, give a small description of the product followed by bullet points that include features and benefits.
One great example is the online retail store, Running Warehouse, which uses paragraphs as well as bullet points to describe the product in a way that is engaging and provides all the necessary information about the product.
Basics of Effective Advertising Copywriting
Following are some basic copywriting tips that will help you write copies that are readable and effective.
Get a free strategy session
Keep the Sentences Short
Long sentences are the least effective when it comes to persuading your potential customers and maintaining their interest and attention. Keep the sentences short, and break separate clauses into two sentences if the sentence is getting too long or confusing. Avoid adding too many unnecessary words, for instance, use the words “of” or “provides” if applicable instead of extending the sentence with “for the purpose of” or “provide you with”. Also avoid using too many adverbs and adjectives just to spice up the sentences.
Keep the Copy Comprehensive and Clear
Clichés and jargon are unimaginative and unoriginal, and they add nothing but distraction for the readers. Keep the sentences to the point without adding any flowery content which is neither convincing nor original. Don’t use too many complex words either, as the readers are likely to be more interested in knowing more about your product than your vocabulary.
Always Use Active Voice
Active voice is far more effective and clearer than passive voice. So start your sentences with the noun doing the action rather than forming complex and confusing sentences.
How to Make the Most of Advertising Copywriting
Advertising copywriting is a very effective tool, and the following tips and tricks will help you make the most of it:
- When using technical terms, make sure that you explain the functions too. For instance, the above mentioned description explains the features and also explains how they benefit you.
- Make sure that all the informative facts and qualities about the particular product as well as the company are available throughout the page.
- Keep the product descriptions informative and straightforward.
- Read reviews and comments of your own products as well as those of your competitors and incorporate any positive feedback into your copy.
- Marketers, designers and developers should all work with the copywriters to ensure that all the details and descriptions aptly represent the product.
How to Establish Trust
Your foremost concern should be to establish the trust of your visitors and that requires creative copywriting and clear and concise content. Following are some easy copywriting tips that will help you gain your potential customer’s trust:
- Make sure that all the necessary information is clearly and easily available, including the price, features, reviews, shipping options etc.
- Make sure that your copy is flawless by checking for any grammatical or spelling errors. As spelling or grammar mistakes will show carelessness and incompetence which can reflect badly on your business practices on a whole.
- Make sure that your prices, return policies and shipping and other rates are clearly written.
- Avoid hidden or surprise charges as the potential customers will see that is a trust breach.
- Avoid using asterisk or footnotes to explain the terms and conditions of free shipping, or discounts.
- Make sure that all your return policies, terms and conditions are clearly written even if they aren’t the selling points.
- Offer a number of ways for customer support, including phone, e-mail and chat.
Most Common Mistakes You Should Avoid
Copywriting skills rely as much on doing the right thing as avoiding the wrong. The biggest mistake is to not write anything at all. Creative copywriting for e-commerce is an effective tool that can yield great profits, so make sure that you incorporate it in your business in order to make the most of it. Following are some other common mistakes that you need to avoid in advertising copywriting.
- Avoid inconsistency. Using different writers or tones for your homepage or landing pages, and a totally different tone to write the descriptions will lead to inconsistency. So use the same tone and preferably the same writer to write your “About Us” page, FAQs, descriptions, checkout pages and also your error messages.
- Don’t exaggerate, particularly when explaining the functions of the product. You can exaggerate regarding the emotional response one might experience to a product but not the functions. As this will only lead to negative feedback and mistrust.
- Don’t get creative regarding the links and buttons to other pages. With thousands of online retail websites available on the internet, visitors are more comfortable using familiar phrases like “Checkout”, “Details”, “FAQ”, “About Us” rather than confusing or creative phrases or links.
- Avoid using sentences or terms that will be culturally sensitive to different regions or ethnic groups. So either use a language which will be universally accepted or more preferably localize your content according to different regions.
Search Engine optimization is paramount in creative copywriting and needs to be aptly incorporated into all the content available on the website. Use different keywords for different pages and make sure that they are effective. So make sure that you hire a professional with good copywriting skills and experience in advertising copywriting.
E-Commerce websites most commonly do not offer copy on product pages, rather they use manufacturers’ descriptions which Google considers as duplicated content. Hence, retailers not only suffer regarding limited sales but their search engine rankings are also negatively affected. Hence, original, persuasive and informative content can greatly help your website yield more business.